Friday, August 21, 2009

Larry And Larry

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 78 degrees, high 97 degrees, partly cloudy skies, humidity 44%, heat index 107 degrees

We only had about eight trains go through here last night. Let's see, that's an average of one every hour. And the economy is slow. Think how many would have gone through if the economy was good. What gets me is that the noise wasn't that bad for all of them but two. Those two seemed to be trying to blow everyone out of their beds with the train horns. They almost succeeded with me. Maybe I'll be used to the noise by the time I leave here.

When I'm by myself, I tend to try to stay as busy as possible. Today was not an exception. I was out doing my morning walk well before daylight, in part due to the trains waking me up. After the walk and a cool down, I removed the fifth wheel hitch from the truck and placed it in the basement. Then I took everything but my tools out of the truck tool box and stored those items. Of course, I was taking breaks as I tried to not get too hot.

Installing the sewer hose was next on my list of things to do. I got the two lengths of hose out and prepared to join them together with a coupling. Wait a minute, where's the coupling? I searched the basement, but couldn't find it. I needed to go to the WalMart Mall for some groceries, so I decided to pick up another coupling while there. At least that was the plan. The Mall did not have any couplings, so I went ahead and bought the other things I needed, then stopped on the way home at another store that usually has a good selection of RV parts. I said usually, because today, they were out of couplings. What is this, a shortage of couplings? Do we need to get the government involved to solve this problem? I still have plenty of room in my holding tanks, so I'll work on getting a coupling tomorrow.

We have had problems with ants while in this area before, so I took the precautions that I normally take when faced with that issue. Vaseline was placed on all the connections to the RV (water hose, power cord, satellite dish cable). Then I sprayed ant spray around the landing gear. Those simple precautions seem to do a good job of keeping ants out of the RV.

By this time, it's getting close to lunch, so I stopped and had a sandwich and cooled off some. Then my brother Terrell called and said they were back from Lake Jackson if I wanted to go to their house for a visit. We had a nice visit for a couple of hours, and I saw a couple of former co-workers, both with the first name of Larry, that we call Big D and Buddy Ro to distinguish them from each other. Great guys, and it was good to see them.

When I got back to the RV, a little rest was in order, so I did a little meditation. By the time I recovered from the meditation, I felt like it was time to clean up the outside of the truck. With a little water and some elbow grease, the truck looks decent for a change.

It was a busy day, but I accomplished a lot. More to do tomorrow, and I might be able to play golf on Sunday.

Good Night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Gainesville, Georgia: Queen City Of The Mountains

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: