Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Little Detour On The Retirement Road

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Weather: low 73 degrees, high 90 degrees, mostly clear skies

The weather forecast is for rain tomorrow and Tuesday, arising out of a tropical disturbance that will come out of the Gulf of Mexico tonight. At this time, it looks as though there will be less rain on Wednesday and Thursday. That's good, because I will be leaving here on Wednesday, on my way back to Texas. Carolyn will be staying here for a couple of weeks helping Terri with her business.

The reason I'm going back to Texas at this time? This last March when we were in Bay City, Texas, visiting family and friends, an old friend named Bill that I worked with for a long time came by to see us. During the visit, he asked me if I would be interested in working with him in the fall. The job would be for about 8-10 weeks on a project he is involved in at the place I retired from. The idea was intriguing to me because I still have a lot of friends and former co-workers in the area. In addition, I have the greatest of respect for Bill and the other people on the project. I took a few days to think about it and talk it over with Carolyn, and we decided that it might be fun to stay in that area for that time. Our daughter Lori and her family live there, so it would give us some quality time with them. Also, one of my brothers and his wife live there. I might even get a chance to play golf with him a couple of times. And, there are some places down there that will make good blog subjects.

Does this mean that retirement is over for me? Not at all. I love spending time traveling, staying up late and getting up when I want, visiting family, and doing all the things I never had time for in the past. This is just a little detour for a couple of months, and then back to the daily grind of doing what I want every day.

Since Carolyn is staying here for a few weeks, she has been working on cleaning the RV to her exacting standards. I only hope I don't disappoint her with how well I keep it when she comes to join me. While she was doing her thing today, I was outside doing the things that have to be done occasionally. Checking the water level on the batteries on the truck and RV, topping off the air in the tires, and several other items. Then I went inside and helped Carolyn finish up with what she wanted to do today. We'll do more tomorrow, and our list is fairly long.

Once our work for the day was finished, we sat down and watched the PGA golf championship. Tiger Woods looked like a lock to win, but an unknown from South Korea outplayed Tiger and won going away.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Fowler, Colorado: A Great Place To Grow

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: