Sunday, January 11, 2009

False Alarm

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 36 degrees, high 43 degrees, cloudy skies until late afternoon when it was partly cloudy

It was cold all day, and when the sun finally peeked out, it looked washed out. Needless to say, it did not do anything as far as warming things up. In last night's post, I mentioned that we had another tornado warning. Today, we found out that the warning was a false alarm that was apparently announced on the local television stations. I would hate to think that something might happen because we ignored the warnings.

The weather is going to be cold all week. The forecast shows lows in the 20s and 30s all week, and even down to 17 degrees on Friday. Carolyn likes cold weather, so she should be happy.

When I went for my morning walk, I almost cut it short because it seemed every direction I walked had the wind blowing in my face. I toughed it out, or cowboyed up, and managed to finish the walk. This next week, I may walk a little later in an effort to avoid some of the cold weather.

This kind of weather makes us think of hearty one dish meals, such as chili or soup. Carolyn prepared a pot of vegetable soup, and sent me to the WalMart Mall to get some carrots. Now, I don't know why she thought she had to put carrots in the pot. I'm not a fan of carrots. I can take them or not. I'd rather not. She insisted on the carrots, so I went after them. In return, she made some cornbread, which is absolutely needed for a dish like vegetable soup.

When I said we had vegetable soup, I meant to say that we had our version of vegetable soup. We like all of the vegetables (except for me and carrots), but we also like at least a taste of meat in the soup. When I was growing up and still living at home (long ago and far, far away), we had soup with canned corned beef in it. I brought that dish with me when we were married, and it continues to be a favorite of both of us. The corned beef is low in fat, and has a lot of flavor. In addition, we use corn, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, okra, green peas, and any left over stuff in the refrigerator. On top of that, we add a can of tomato sauce for some additional richness of taste. That's some good eating!

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Lancaster, Pennsylvania: Centuries Of Fun In Just A Day

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: