Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wind Chill

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 27 degrees, high 38 degrees, clear skies, COLDDDDD wind

Notice my accent on COLD above? The wind was blowing about 15 miles per hour, and it was so cold that when I went for my morning walk, I wore a knit watch cap and my heaviest jacket, along with a sweat shirt. The wind chill made the temperature feel like it was about 15 degrees. My face felt the cold the most, especially when I was walking into the wind. It looks like the cold will be worse tomorrow, with a low forecast near 11 degrees.

We spent part of the day working on getting stuff together for the sale of Terri's house. The buyers want to expedite the process and move in as soon as possible. I want to expedite the process so I don't have to continue taking care of the house. When we sold our house in 2005, we never expected to be as involved with another house so soon, especially one that is not ours. Tomorrow, I will be meeting the exterminator out there so he can perform a termite inspection and write a termite bond. We don't expect any problems because the house is only five years old. Terri still has some possessions there that we will have to move out, but that should take little time.

Having this house off our hands means we should be able to start traveling again, at least more than we have been the past year. We will give advance notice of where we are going, but only for a few weeks at a time. We have found that every time we say we're going somewhere, such as Alaska, something seems to come up that causes us to have to change our plans. That doesn't mean that Carolyn and I won't make some longer term plans, but we don't want to publish our plans too far ahead in the event that something arises. However, as I said in a previous post, if we are heading west through Montana or Washington state, don't be surprised if we make a sudden right turn toward Canada and Alaska.

Cold weather seems to give us an appetite for hearty soup and chili. Earlier this week, we had a pot of soup. Tonight, we are sharing a pot of chili with Terri and Thomas. With this cold weather, it should hit the spot, I mean stomach, just right.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Portland, Maine: Forest City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: