Saturday, January 31, 2009

Looking At More RVs

Glen Rose, Texas

Weather: low 30 degrees, high 70 degrees, clear skies, breezy

In yesterday's post on Dinosaur World, I was looking over my shoulder as I wrote about the smaller dinosaurs and how I would have not wanted to run up on them. As a result, I forgot to mention that Carolyn had another medical procedure yesterday. She had an MRI performed on her left shoulder as part of the tests to determine what is causing the pain in that area. She will be seeing the doctor for the problem on Wednesday. He should have all the results of the tests and be able to diagnose the problem at that time. Carolyn says its tough to be getting older. I remind her that getting older is better than the alternative.

We went to Granbury this morning to look at some more RVs. The ones we looked at were a 33 foot Mobile Scout fifth wheel and a 31 foot Sunny Brook. Both RVs are built by the same manufacturer and look much the same inside. The only difference we could see, other than the length, was the name on the front of each unit. Because of the lengths, the 31 foot model is a little lighter. Both units would take us to or beyond the weight that our truck is rated to pull. As I have said before, the truck could pull more weight, but we want to also be able to stop safely. We have an exhaust brake on our truck, and it does help us stop, especially coming out of the hills and mountains. However, if we were to have an accident and it was found that we were pulling a heavier load than the truck is rated for, we might be liable. That's a chance we don't want to take.

After we left the RV dealer, we took a ride through Acton, which is where Davy Crockett's wife is buried. The road led us northeast across the hills toward Cleburne. There has been a lot of drilling for oil and gas wells in the north Texas area, and this area is no exception. We passed many oil wells pumping away, and saw where pipe lines are being laid to get the gas to market. It was interesting to see the oil and gas wells, and not far away would be new houses with barns and ponds. It is apparent that most of the new construction is enabled by the money earned by the landowners for leases and royalties. It's nice to see the people who own the land getting some of the benefits of the wealth that is found beneath their property.

Tonight, we went to a new Chinese restaurant in Granbury for supper. We had noticed the restaurant on one of our earlier trips to Granbury, and decided I would cook tonight. So I decided I would prepare Chinese food. I have to say I prepared a good meal. I think Carolyn likes it when I cook. I've done better before, but this wasn't bad for whipping something up on the spur of the moment.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Portland, Maine: Birthplace Of The Italian Sandwich

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: