Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rain Stopped - Finally

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 44 degrees, high 56 degrees, mostly clear skies, winds to 20 mph

The rain finally stopped early this morning, and none too soon for me. When I went for my morning walk, I noticed the Black Warrior River water level had risen to about eight feet higher than normal. Walking was much more pleasant than the past few mornings had been, even though it was colder and windy.

When I returned home from my walk, we decided to go to an RV dealership and parts store in Cottondale. We have been debating buying another RV for some time, and decided to start looking at what is available. Last summer when we were at this dealership looking for some parts, they had a good selection of RVs, but we did not look at that time because we were so busy with Terri's house. Today, we knew as soon as we pulled into the sales lot that they did not have what we were looking for. Almost all of their new RVs are gone except for some tagalongs. We knew of another dealer near Bessemer, so decided to go up there to see what they had. Again, no luck because they had mostly used RVs for sale. It appears the economy has hit the RV sales hard enough that many of the manufacturers have gone out of business or shut down until things pick up. We'll be going to Texas soon, so we'll see what's available down there.

After we returned home from our trip, I dumped our holding tanks and did a little housekeeping in the basement. The new used golf bag I bought this past Monday is going to work out well. I loaded the clubs in it as well as some balls and other golf stuff. Then it was time for some meditation. After the meditation, I went out to Terri's house to check everything out. No problems were noted there, and I picked up some turnip greens and boiled peanuts from the freezer.

This past Christmas, Terri gave me a book on legends and myths of Alabama. It was interesting reading for the most part, but what was most interesting was some of the quirky history related. Such as the town that captured a U-boat crew during World War II, accounts of Civil War activities around the Florence area, and a college that went through several different evolutions in a town called Lagrange in the mid-1800s. I tend to gravitate to the quirky or off-beat when we are out and about, so the book caught my attention. If anyone is interested in a quick but interesting read, the book is titled "Alabama Unsolved Mysteries", written by Margaret Walter-Wilson, and published by Sweetwater Press.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Decatur, Alabama: Home Of Meow Mix

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir, I am soo very flattered that you liked my book! The history is really rich and fantastic in this beautiful State of ours and has always been a passion of mine! The LaGrange site is now a park and can be visited easily. Many of the other areas are also easily accessible, the Germans for instance were spotted along Fort Morgan Road the fort is also open to the public. Again thank you so very much for enjoying my book and passing it on! You have made my day!! I wish you wonderful travels!

Yours, Margaret Walter-Wilson

Jerald said...

The pleasure was mine. When we get back to Alabama, we plan to visit many of the places in the book.

Jerald