Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ooh, Ooh, Ooh! Jerald, A Mouse!

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 24 degrees, high 56 degrees, clear skies

This morning after my morning walk, we went to Books A Million to use gift cards we received for Christmas. Have you ever been in a bookstore and thought about how you would like to take one of everything? We like browsing through bookstores, but usually don't buy much because we don't have much room, their prices are too high, and we make use of public libraries as much as possible. In addition, we find books at yard sales or trade for them when we find a store that trades. Then there's always the books we get for birthdays and Christmas. Today was a rarity because I redeemed my gift card for four books we have not read. Did you hear that, Lori? New books are on the way when we come back to Texas in a few weeks. Carolyn didn't find anything that she was ready to use her gift card for, but she may be able to use it at another Books A Million.

Before we returned home, we went out to Terri's house to make sure everything was okay. The house is on the market, and has been vacant several months. It continues to be shown, and the price was recently marked down, so Terri is hopeful it sells soon. I check it out every few days to make sure there are no problems. When we went out there today, we swept the floor and cleaned out the gutters. Next week, I may go out and get the leaves out of the flower beds.

When we got home, it was time for meditation. After the meditation, I watched a little football. Then we went down to the WalMart Mall for a few things. When we returned home, we were sitting in the living room when Carolyn screamed "Ooh, Ooh, Ooh! Jerald, a mouse! Sure enough, I glanced up in time to see a mouse run across the floor and into the cabinet under the stove. Now, this is the first mouse we have seen since we moved into the RV. This mouse (I'm hoping this is the only one) probably found a way inside to escape the cold weather we have been having.

I made a quick trip back to the WalMart Mall to buy some mouse traps. Little did I know that there is an array of different mouse traps that make it difficult to decide what to buy. Tubes, sticky traps, etc. There were even some humane traps. I'm not interested in being humane, other than giving the mouse a quick death. What I was looking for was the old standby wooden traps that I remember, but there were not any to be found. I drove down to K-Mart, but they didn't have the wooden traps. I finally bought four plastic traps that I'm hopeful will do the trick.

I brought the traps home and set them up, with one in the cabinet under the stove, one next to the wall near the couch, one in the bathroom, and one in the basement. Here's hoping I catch the little rascal tonight.

Happy new year to everyone, and we hope everyone has a better year than the last one was.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Awendaw, South Carolina: Home Of The Awendaw Blue Crab Festival

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: