Thursday, January 29, 2009

Roadrunners And Wild Turkeys

Glen Rose, Texas

Weather: low 25 degrees, high 55 degrees, clear skies, fog this morning

There was still some ice and sleet in shady places left over from the storm that went through here this week. On the plus side, the temperatures were warmer, and are expected to keep getting warmer for the next three days. I'm ready.

The improved weather gave us the urge to get out and see some countryside. We drove over to Chalk Mountain and pulled into the overlook just off US 67. This wayside stop has to be one of most scenic rest areas in the state. When we left the rest area, we took a back road across country toward Walnut Spring, located in Bosque County. We didn't actually get to Walnut Spring, but turned onto Texas 144 back toward Glen Rose.

On our drives through the countryside, we are always looking for interesting animal and plant life. As might be expected for this time of year, the plant life is basically dormant. That makes it easier to see the animals, and we saw two things that are usually fairly secretive: a couple of roadrunners and some wild turkeys. We know there are a lot of deer in this area, but we didn't see any today.

Speaking of roadrunners, there are some located in the woods behind the RV park where we are staying. I saw one of them yesterday, and the bird allowed me to get within about 10 feet of him before he ran. I know most people remember the old Roadrunner and Coyote cartoons, where the coyote always got the bad end of any confrontation with the roadrunner. For some reason, every time I see a roadrunner, I keep expecting him to go beep, beep, stick out his tongue, and blaze off in a cloud of dust.

When I was working at the Comanche Peak Nuclear Plant, located about two miles from where we are currently staying, the security cameras routinely monitored the presence of a mountain lion. Where there's one, there's usually two. That caught my attention because I like to walk. There have been several instances of mountain lions attacking people farther west of here. I still remember the sightings, and when I walk here, I always stay aware of what's around. I don't want to be a statistic or a meal for a mountain lion.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Glen Rose, Texas: 2004 American Dream Town Winner

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: