Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Little Warmer

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 26 degrees, high 40 degrees, cloudy, light sprinkles in the afternoon, breezy

The weather continues to be cold, but it is a little warmer than yesterday. We expect a few showers tonight, but I'd rather see some snow. There's something that seems to touch the little kid inside me when it snows. Perhaps it's because I never saw snow until I was an adult.

The most memorable snowfall for me occurred on the night of December 24, 2004, the last winter we spent in Bay City, Texas. It started snowing about dark on the 24th, and when we got up on Christmas Day, everything outside was covered with snow. Overnight, 14 inches of snow fell, which was a record for the area. Early in the morning, no one had driven or walked on the new snow, and it was a beautiful sight. There may have been a few kids that played with their new toys that day, but most of them were outside in the snow. There was still snow on the ground three days later.

I did my normal morning walk, and was comfortable except for my ears. I took my knit cap with me, but left it in the truck because I had my baseball cap on. By the time I realized that I had the wrong head cover on, I decided to keep going because I was so far from the truck. Another of those bad choices I make once in awhile.

I went to the library to return some books and to download some program updates on the old computer. The library has a wifi signal that they allow customers of the library to use. Since their signal is much stronger than what I can get in Coker, I do the software updates at the library. The signal in Coker is good enough for casual use of the Internet, but that's about all.

While I was at the library, I tried to use the new computer. I had no problem getting on the Internet using the air card, but was unable to access the library's wifi signal. I kept getting a note that said that there was not a device or network adapter available, but when I checked the system, I found that it was available. I don't know what's going on (no surprise) but I'll keep trying until I get the adapter to work.

We plan to leave here on Monday on our way to Glen Rose, Texas, where Carolyn has a doctor's appointment next Friday. We'll go through Hope, Arkansas, and visit my brother Keith and his family. Sometime in the next week, we expect to go to the Fort Worth RV Show, where we will see what's out there in new RVs. After the doctor visits are completed, we will be going to Bay City to see family and friends. We hope to be able to help our daughter Lori celebrate her birthday. Somewhere in these travels, we are going to try to see some new places.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Brundidge, Alabama: Alabama’s Own Antique City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: