Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Three Feet High And Rising

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 54 degrees, high 60 degrees, cloudy, fog, rain

It rained all night, and continued through the day. The area where I walk in the mornings is along the Black Warrior River in Northport. The river is at the highest level I have seen, and appears to be about 3-4 feet higher than yesterday. The river current is really moving, and the woods along the river are flooded. After today's heavy rains, I can only imagine how much higher the river will be tomorrow. I don't think there's any worry about the river getting into the towns because the levees are 30-40 feet higher than the river's level this morning. This reminds me of the old song about how high's the water.

I had to cut my walk short because it started raining too hard. I planned for that possibility, so I stayed close to shelter while walking. Maybe I'll be able to walk farther tomorrow. The weather forecast is for the rain to move out of the area.

This weather is really putting a crimp on what we can do. I would rather see snow than all this rain. At least when it snows, most of the time the snow melts over time. This rain has been falling for what seems like forever, while snow never amounts to as much water as what we're getting. The ground is waterlogged, and squishes with every step.

Enough talk about the rain. We did our usual things when we can't get out. Surfing the web, reading, crafts, meditating, planning what we'll do when we have better weather.

It's raining heavily again as I'm finishing this post at 2110 hours. I know I said enough about the rain, but I thought the reader might want to know what we're dealing with here.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - San Francisco, California: The City That Knows How

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: