Monday, November 2, 2009

Fajitas For Lunch

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 45 degrees, high 72 degrees, clear skies

Slowly, but surely, the problems are being solved at work. We are working through the last major obstacle to moving the new reactor head on to the reactor vessel by about Friday of this week. Once that happens, we will be about eight days from starting the reactor up. It can't happen too soon.

The project served lunch to us today, which consisted of beef and chicken fajitas, yellow rice, refried beans, freshly made tortillas, salsa, guacamole, and tortilla chips. There's only one problem I had with all that great food. As I have gotten older, my appetite seems to be getting smaller and smaller. Most of the time, a simple ham sandwich is plenty to last me until supper. I have found that if I eat a large lunch, I tend to get sleepy for about two hours. In a job like this, it's important to stay on top of your game all the time, and walking around sleepy is not the way to do it. In addition, since my appetite is smaller, my stomach seems to have gotten smaller, and it actually becomes painful to eat that much food. I can remember when I was younger that I could eat everything in sight, then went looking for more. Two hours later, I would be hungry again. Now, it's amazing how little it takes to feel full. Sometimes, getting older is the pits.

Speaking of getting older, the most obvious sign to me that I'm getting older, other than the fact that my hair is turning more blonde, is the aches and pains I feel when I first get up in the morning. It usually takes an hour or so for me to limber up, and that's one of the reasons I enjoy walking early in the day. By the time I finish my walk, I can usually move without creaking or groaning.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Scranton, Pennsylvania: Electric City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: