Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tour Of Containment

Luling, Louisiana

Weather: low 44 degrees, high 58 degrees, clear skies, breezy

I finished the last training I needed at Waterford Nuclear Plant this morning, and was making a tour of the containment building shortly after lunch. The tour took about three hours, and I saw just about everything to see. There was one other area to see, but there was some work in progress that I didn't want to get in the way of, so I saved that part of the tour for another day.

It's always interesting to me to see nuclear plants that I have never visited before. Waterford is another one that's new for me, and I'm seeing things I haven't seen at other plants. Part of my assessment is to review how the plant staff conducts their day to day business with regard to radiation protection, and how their processes can be improved to increase efficiency and service. Particularly since they are going to replace their steam generators and reactor head in the spring of 2011. It may seem as though 18 months is a long time to get ready for something like changing those components, but that time will pass before they know it. I've seen several things already that I am going to suggest. By the time I leave here in a few days, I expect to recommend many others.

I saw a person today that I worked with about nine years ago, which was the last time I had seen him. He and his family are doing well, except for one of his children developing diabetes, which they are coming to grips with. It was good to talk to him, and it just reinforces what I said yesterday about usually knowing people at just about every plant I visit.

Today was a longer work day than yesterday. I didn't leave the plant until 1800 hours, and it was dark. Traffic coming out of New Orleans was heavy, and it took about 45 minutes to go 20 miles or less. I'm going to try to time getting off work so I miss most of the going home traffic.

I talked to Carolyn tonight, and she said she went to dinner with Lori and the grandkids at what used to be our favorite Chinese restaurant when we lived in Bay City. She said new owners had the restaurant now, and the food was better than ever. Her concern was that the only diners were her and Lori's family. If their business doesn't pick up, they may be closing. Too bad.

I'm a little tired tonight, with all the climbing and looking around in containment. I'll try to have a better post tomorrow.

Good night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Sequim, Washington: The Banana Belt Of America

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: