Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I Don't Like Hotels

Luling, Louisiana

Weather: low 42 degrees, high 58 degrees, clear skies

I continued my assessment at the Waterford Nuclear Plant today, getting into more areas for walkdowns and reviews of how their radiation protection group does business. I was able to talk with more old friends and co-workers from the past, and they gave me insight to how things operate. Tomorrow, I'll be getting together with management to get into some more in-depth conversations about practices and expectations.

After work, I met two friends from the past (Rick and Melanie) and another person I met here this week (Mike) for supper. We went to a local favorite here in Boutte named Sal's 90 West Restaurant for a taste of the local seafood. Since I didn't have any particular dish in mind, I went with the small seafood platter. It included fried oysters, fried shrimp, fried catfish, fried onion rings, french fries, and hush puppies. Did you notice the emphasis on the word fried? The meal also included a bowl of shrimp gumbo. The food wasn't bad, but I couldn't eat all of it. I've had better, but had a lot worse. Maybe I was expecting too much.

The last few nights have reminded me how much I dislike staying in a hotel. Uncomfortable beds, noisy traffic, rooms not as clean as what I'm used to. Staying here has reinforced many of the reasons why we bought an RV. Our bed in the RV is comfortable, Carolyn keeps one of the cleanest places a person could find, and even though the RV is currently parked by a railroad track, we will be moving it in less than two weeks to a much quieter place. I'll be glad to get back home.

Speaking of home: I have been asked many times where home is for us. My reply is that home is wherever we are. Most people can't fathom the idea that we don't have a fixed base that we call home. If we had to be pinned down as to where we claim as home, Livingston, Texas is where we are registered to vote, our truck and RV are registered there, our income taxes are paid from there, and all our mail goes there. So I guess Livingston is it, even though we haven't been there but two days in the last three years.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Moss Hill, Texas: A Great Place To Live

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: