Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fishing

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 67 degrees, high 78 degrees, mostly clear skies

The work in the containment building should be finished in about two days. That means containment will be closed and the start up process for the reactor will begin, ending the outage. Everyone is glad to see the end of the outage coming, but today I heard someone say it was only 138 days before the outage in the other unit begins. At least I'll have some time off once I finish the little job in New Orleans. Maybe I can catch up on my meditation.

Yesterday, one of my co-workers was talking about some fishing he did the night before off the pier in Palacios. He caught about 40 sea trout, but only four of them were large enough to keep. The fish hit everything he threw at them, including natural and artificial bait.

When we lived in Florida, I did a lot of fishing. Fresh water, salt water, it didn't matter. If I had the time, I was fishing. One time I went salt water fishing with my dad and uncle on a party boat. I became so seasick that I didn't wet a line the whole trip. I don't think I have ever been as sick to my stomach as I was that day. As soon as I was back on the dock, the sickness went away.

At one time, we lived on a lake located in the Ocala National Forest for about four years. That was fisherman's heaven. If I wasn't fishing on our lake, I was fishing on another lake in the area. Bass, catfish, crappie (we called them speckled perch), bream and more were caught by us. If we caught it, we ate it.

Like most things, over time other interests took my attention, such as raising a family and golf. I've fished a few times since then, but the interest is not nearly as great as it was then. Could it be that I'll develop that interest again?

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Alabaster, Alabama: The City for Families

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: