Sunday, November 15, 2009

Trip To New Orleans

Luling, Louisiana

Weather: low 68 degrees, in Bay City, Texas, high 81 degrees in Luling, Louisiana, mostly clear skies in Luling

I left Bay City about 0815 hours this morning, on my way to the New Orleans area to take care of a short consulting job at another nuclear power plant. When I left, Bay City was getting light showers, and Carolyn said it rained pretty good for awhile. The weather was good along my travel path, and traffic was fairly light. Not a bad trip at all.

The major item of interest on my trip today was the harvesting of sugar cane in Louisiana. I don't know how many acres of cane are planted here, but it's got to be a significant amount. It looked like the pictures I've seen of Hawaii, where vast fields of cane stretch out into the distance. I couldn't stop along the highway to take pictures, so this picture, along with the one below, were found on Wikipedia.

The cut cane is transported to the mill using open top trailers. Nothing is wasted, with the scraps being used as fuel at the mill. In addition to making sugar, the cane is also used to make ethanol, which to my way of thinking is a waste of a good sweetener.

When I arrived near the plant, I took LA 18 the last few miles, which winds along the west side of the Mississippi River. The river can't be seen because of the flood control levee, but the tops of the ocean going ships that go up and down the river can be seen. The road is so full of curves that the speed limit was 35 to 4o mph the entire distance that I was on it. I found the power plant without any problems, so I'll be able to drive right to work in the morning.

In the event I do any more work here, I was looking for places to park the RV. I was surprised to find four RV parks within about five miles of the plant. It's nice to have some choices. In the meantime, since I'm going to be here a week or so, I left the RV in Bay City. Carolyn stayed behind because I didn't want her to have to sit in a hotel room all day waiting on me to get off work. We don't like being apart, but doing things this way allows her to visit with family and friends, as well as have her things at hand. In addition, since I can devote all my time to the job, I may be able to finish early.

I settled for the week in Luling, about ten miles from the plant. Nothing fancy, but it'll do.

Good night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Westlake, Louisiana: Sixtyfour Years Of Progress And Growth

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: