Saturday, September 19, 2009

Carbon Credits And Guilt Feelings

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 72 degrees, high 87 degrees, mostly clear skies, breezy

We were a little slow waking up this morning after getting home late last night. Once we were finally awake, I went to Shipley's Donuts and bought some pigs (sausage kolaches) for breakfast. I thought Carolyn would like a jalapeno pig, so I got two of those in addition to a couple of regular ones. She thought about it for about two seconds and said she would rather not have jalapeno peppers for breakfast. That meant I ate both of the jalapeno pigs. Think of the sacrifices I make. Not really, because the jalapeno pigs are good.

As I was traveling yesterday, I heard a news bit on the radio about people being able to buy carbon credits to offset their carbon production while traveling. Now, think about where this story originated, which was San Francisco. Some machines have been set up in the airport there so people who feel guilty about the pollution they cause by traveling can buy these carbon credits. The money is allegedly used to plant trees and buy land to remove carbon from the air. An interesting thing that came up in the article was that the airport is charging about 60 times the going rate for carbon credits. That should take a lot of guilt away from people. I though about how much carbon I was producing in my trip. Then I thought about whether I would feel better about it by buying some carbon credits to offset the carbon I was producing. For about two seconds I agonized over this moral dilemma. Then I decided, naah. If my conscience is not bothering me, then there's not a moral dilemma.

We took things easy after the hard trip of yesterday. I left home to pick up food, and Carolyn stayed home all day. The rest of the day was spent resting and recuperating from yesterday's hard trip. Maybe we'll feel better tomorrow so we can get out and about a little bit.

One thing we did do was watch the Tennessee and Florida football game. It was a well played game by both teams, and it looks as though Tennessee has a team that they can build into something to be proud of. They are some kind of tough on defense. Florida won the game 23 to 13, but it was not a runaway game by any means. As I said, good game.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Cincinnati, Ohio: The Blue Chip City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: