Monday, September 7, 2009

Jalapeno Pigs

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 73 degrees, high 92 degrees, partly cloudy skies

After my morning walk, I decided I wanted a pig for breakfast. Not a full sized pig, as in a hog, but a favorite from Shipley's, the local donut ship. What's a pig, you say? Well, it's what a lot of people call a kolache with smoked sausage in it. The difference is that it tastes better than the ones that we get when we're in the hill country of Texas. I decided to go all the way this morning, and bought a pig that was also filled with jalapeno peppers. Ummmm, boy, it was good. I should have bought two.

Speaking of jalapeno peppers, we had never tasted these peppers until we moved to Texas almost 20 years ago. They can be pickled in vinegar, which is the way we eat most of them, but you can get them fresh in salsa. Other ways to fix them are as uniquely Texas dishes, such as Texas toothpicks (fried strips), Armadillo eggs (stuffed with cheese and deep fried) or even jalapeno jelly. We haven't tried that type. Either way, their taste is unique. We try to have some with us when we leave the state because we can't always find them in other states. When we were in Alabama last year, our friends Ruth and Marsha gave us some green jalapenos which we pickled. Sad to say, but we're opened the last jar.

Since my brother Terrell knew of my rainmaking prowess, he called me yesterday and asked me to go to his house today and wash my truck so he could get some rain on his yard. In yesterday's post, I mentioned that just the mere threat of washing the truck seemed to have caused a shower to pass through the area. When I arrived at Terrell's house today, it was apparent that he had gotten more than a shower. Not a deluge, but a good rain. I still washed the truck, so now we'll see what happens. The weather for the next few days is for 30-40% chance of rain. One thing to remember is that the fall season is typically dry here, so I don't know if the magic will work.

Not a lot going on here beyond trying to make rain. I took care of a few little chores, watched some television, did some reading, surfed the web..... Just taking it easy before going back to work tomorrow.

Good night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Hattiesburg, Mississippi: The Hub City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: