Friday, September 18, 2009

Carolyn's Home

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 72 degrees in Bay City, high 89 degrees in Meridian, Mississippi

What a day! It started so early I don't want to think about it again. I will say the time I got up was the time I used to get home when I was younger and more stupid. The reason for getting up early was to make it through the Houston area before the morning rush hour started. That part of the plan worked to perfection, and I was able to get through Lake Charles, Louisiana, before the sun was up. So why was I up and about so early? I was on my way to pick up my sweetheart and partner!

The weather was good, traffic was fairly light, and there were no holdups until I got past Baton Rouge on I-12. Then the traffic was heavy, but kept moving. Once I turned onto I-59, traffic became light again. There was some construction, but it didn't hold me up. About the time I entered Mississippi, Carolyn called and asked where I was. I told her, and she said Terri was picking Thomas up at school early, and then they were going to meet me on the road. That meant I was able to cut about 200 miles off the round trip. We met in Meridian, Mississippi, where we had lunch and I caught up with what's been happening with them. Then we loaded Carolyn's things in the truck and said our good-byes to Terri and Thomas. It was a sad time, because I think everyone knows how devoted I am to my family. I need to persuade Terri to move to Texas so she can be closer to us and her sister Lori.

One of the things (of many) I treasure about my marriage to Carolyn is how easy it is for us to talk about just about anything. Today was no different, and we had a real gab fest all the way back home. When we left Meridian, the plan was to stop and spend the night somewhere along the way. Eventually, we realized that neither of us wanted to stay anywhere but in our home, even if it did mean a long day. Needless to say, it was late and the finish to a long day, but we made it home. We'll rest over the weekend and buy some groceries. Carolyn's going to cook. Yes!

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Meridian, Mississippi: A Carousel of Culture

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: