Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Meetings, Meetings, Meetings......

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 74 degrees, high 82 degrees, cloudy, sprinkles

The day at work was full of meetings and briefings as we approach the shut down of the plant. The weather has cooperated as we prepare for the major projects that will be accomplished during the scheduled 38 days of work. The facility shuts down every 18 months in order to refuel, perform maintenance, and make repairs. There are two plants here, and the other plant will be shut down in the spring to have the same work performed. I have been asked to help with the spring shut down, and am leaning toward doing it. However, I haven't made a final decision yet. If I came back for the spring shut down, I would have about three months off before having to report, which would give us time for dentist visits, physicals, and visiting the hill country of Texas.

The thing I miss most about not working - in other words, being retired - is not being able to do some meditation during the day. I'm amazed at how easy it was to get used to closing my eyes for 15 minutes during the day. And it was so refreshing to me. I have enjoyed the past few weeks, seeing old friends and co-workers, and feeling as though I'm part of something meaningful and important. It's too bad I can't do a little meditation in the middle of the day. Now, there's a thought. Meditation, much like we used to take a nap when we were kids. I wonder what that would do to worker productivity in this country? I don't think we'll ever get the chance to find out. If a company decided to try it, sooner or later it would start being abused. As in people going to sleep. Not that I would do that.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Waco, Texas: New Zion

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: