Sunday, September 6, 2009

Port Lavaca, Texas

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 72 degrees, high 91 degrees, partly cloudy to mostly cloudy, showers in the afternoon

When my morning walk was finished, I started thinking about what I would do today. The decision was made to drive down the coast to Port Lavaca, a place we have not been to in almost seven years. Our first time out in an RV was to Port Lavaca, and we were as green as grass when it came to setting up the RV. We couldn't get the RV off the truck hitch because I had it in a bind. Luckily, there were some people there who knew what they were doing, and they helped us out. If we hadn't gotten the help and advice we received that weekend, we might have had short lives as RVers.

We stayed that first weekend at the city-owned RV park located on the bay as you go into town from the direction of Bay City. That turned out to be a good choice, because we had two of our grandchildren, Julian and Zoe, with us. They were able to go fishing and play in the playground, and the experience made them want to go with us more. So I guess the weekend was good for them.

Since this is the last holiday weekend of the summer, all the RV parks in town seemed to be full. There was a lot of fishing going on, but I didn't see any fish being caught. The glare from the sun and water was bad, and I imagine a lot of people had headaches from it before the day was finished.

The first picture is of a mural painted on a wall in the Olde Town part of Port Lavaca. The second one is of Olde Town Port Lavaca. There's not much to it, and it appears that the town is trying to develop the area as a tourist attraction. I think they've got a long way to go.

Most of the business activity appears to be taking place on Texas 35, which is the main road paralleling the coast from Houston down to Corpus Christi. Since the route is along the coast, the terrain is about as flat as it can get. A railroad crossing might be the highest point along the way.

Has there been much in the way of change since were here almost seven years ago? Not really. A few more businesses, and that's about it. Of course, change may not always be good.

My brother Terrell is in Tennessee for a couple of weeks. He called me today and asked me to go by his house in Bay City. He wants me to wash my truck so he can get some rain on his yard. I guess he's familiar with my rainmaking skills. Well, it rained today with just the thought that I was going to wash the truck. It wasn't a downpour, but anything is better than what they have been getting here. The yards are brown, crops are dying, pastures are down to dirt, and the situation is not getting better. Maybe if I wash the truck tomorrow, I can help these folks out. Stayed tuned for an update.

Good night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Port Lavaca, Texas: It’s A State Of Mind!

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: