Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mosquitoes Are Here

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 71 degrees, high 85 degrees, partly cloudy skies

Those pesky mosquitoes are out in force, as I predicted last week. As I was walking from the truck to my work location this morning, I was slapping and swatting at the mosquitoes that acted as though they hadn't eaten in months, and they were going to make up for it on me. I looked around, and everyone I saw was doing the same kind of swatting that looked like a weird pantomime. I know there are many products on the market that are supposed to repel these things, but I've never found one that really worked. Not even the one from Avon that's supposed to make your skin soft. I do have to say it smells good, but I think the smell was made for a female. We'll suffer through them until it dries out a little.

Today was a nice, pleasant day as far as the weather is concerned. Cooler in the morning, a reasonable high temperature, light breezes, and lower humidity. The fall season should only be about a month away here.

One thing I miss when I'm working is the long walks I usually take. When I get home in the evening after working ten hours, I don't have as much ambition as I usually do, so the walks are cut to about half of what I usually do. On the weekends, I'm able to walk my normal distance. In less than two weeks, the longer hours will start here, with the average day being about 13 hours at work. Needless to say, there won't be any extra exercise after work until the longer hours are finished. By then, the job will be finished and I'll be back in that retired drifter mode. I won't have any trouble getting back to my real job of retirement. Doing something different is nice, and I have enjoyed seeing and working with everyone again, but I need to remember that my calling now is to relax and enjoy the full-time RVing lifestyle.

We had another good day at work, with more progress toward the start of the shut down. The place is bustling, with people hurrying and trucks and delivery vehicles moving equipment around. It is amazing the amount of work that is planned and performed in such a short time, with the facility going back into production on schedule.

Good night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Crowley, Louisiana: Rice Capital Of America

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: