Friday, September 11, 2009

A Day Of Remembrance

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 75 degrees, high 88 degrees, cloudy, rain

We had a real gully washer of a rain storm pass through the area this afternoon. It rained so hard that it was difficult to see trains passing by about 50 feet away. The rain continues tonight, but not as hard. I'm beginning to have second thoughts about washing the truck last Monday.

Today is the eighth anniversary of the World Trade Center attacks, where so many Americans were killed when two airplanes were flown into the buildings. In addition, more Americans were killed when another airplane was flown into the ground after the passengers fought hijackers who had taken the plane over in an attempt to fly into another target. I'm sad that so many were killed in these attacks, but what makes it even worse is that our nation seems to be forgetting what happened that day. I have a feeling that we are beginning to let our guard down, and that it is only a matter of time before another terrible attack takes place. What is it with the people in Washington that they want to put people in the CIA on trial for following orders that had been approved at the highest levels? How does this witch hunt make us stronger as a nation? I wish someone could explain it to me, because I'm not seeing it.

Seeing the coverage on TV today about the events eight years ago brought back to me where I was and what I was doing when the attacks took place. It was the kind of event that seems to stay with you the rest of your life. Another one I remember vividly is the day that President Kennedy was assassinated. There are other moments I remember, but those are the most vivid.

Since today was a day off from work, I had several chores I wanted to get done. After a nice long walk this morning, I got the laundry together and went to the laundromat to wash my clothes. Next on the agenda was a trip to the dentist for my six month checkup, which I passed with flying colors. Our dentist, who I call Doc (that's original, isn't it?) said to keep doing what I'm doing. Then, in a kidding way, he told the dental hygienist to schedule me for my next checkup in about three years, because he couldn't make any money off me with the way I was taking care of my teeth.

When I got back home, I put the clothes up and did some light housekeeping. This afternoon, I watched some golf on television. The mail came, and the only thing of consequence was the bank statement. Carolyn has forbidden me from trying to balance it, because she says I mess it up. Can you imagine that? I've managed multi-million dollar budgets, and she doesn't trust me to balance the checkbook. That's fine, I'll save it for her so she can do it when gets here. Besides, that's one thing less I have to do.

Good night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's State - Kentucky: Bluegrass State

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: