Monday, December 1, 2008

Buzzard Roost

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 53 degrees, high 63 degrees, mostly cloudy skies, windy

It would seem that the temperatures listed above would be rather pleasant. Not today. The wind was blowing about 20 miles per hour, and a jacket felt good.

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, we prepared a late Thanksgiving meal. Today, Carolyn's back gave her a lot of problems and she spent most of the day on a heating pad. She said it felt better later in the day. We picked up Zoe at her school and took her home when school was out. Lori was already home, so we spent some time visiting. When we left Lori's house, Carolyn said she felt well enough to go to the WalMart Mall to pick up a few things she needed. I could tell she was having a tough time walking around, so we cut the walkabout short. We'll see how her back feels in the morning before deciding what we'll do tomorrow.

When I went for my morning walk, I saw 11 deer (two bucks among them). This area is full of wildlife, and apparently a bunch of buzzards spend the winter here. Whenever I take the nature path in the park, I have to watch the trees to make sure I don't walk under a bunch of buzzards roosting over where I'm walking. It's bad enough when a small bird drops a deposit on me. I would hate to have a buzzard do it.

I went to the public library after lunch to check out some books. I have used the local library for many years, but I wish they would get a different person to select the new books. They seem to buy a larger than normal number of romance types of books. Not my cup of tea. Give me a good mystery any time.

I returned home from the library and decided to clean out the front basement compartment. Whenever I do this chore, I'm usually find things that I had forgotten I had put in there. For example, I found the four way lug wrench used to tighten or loosen the lug nuts on the tires. Another thing I found was some indoor/outdoor carpet we use for door mats to clean our feet outside the RV door before going inside. I may have to do this chore more often.

Tonight, there is a celestial event occurring that is rare. The moon is in crescent phase, and just to the right of it are the two brightest objects in the sky early in the evening. The two objects are Venus and Jupiter. Venus is the brighter one. Here's what I saw when I took a picture of the event this evening. I hope it shows up well.



More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Waxahachie, Texas: Come For The History, Stay For The Charm

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: