Sunday, December 21, 2008

First Day Of Winter

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 40 degrees, high 47 degrees, mostly clear skies, windy

Today is the first day of winter, and it came in windy and cold. We had some light snow earlier in the evening after dark, and the low in the morning is expected to be near 20 degrees. I'm ready to go south for some warmer weather. At least we had some sun today.

I was back to my usual walking distance this morning after being lazy yesterday and cutting the walk short. The cold walk woke up my appetite, and we had a nice breakfast after I returned home. Normally, I catch up on the news on the computer, but today felt like a good day to read a newspaper. I picked one up before heading home, and enjoyed reading it after breakfast.

Last night about 2250 hours, the cold front passed through the area. The reason I know the time is that I was reading in bed and heard the wind pick up and hard rain falling. That's when I checked the clock. This morning, when we turned on the TV to check the weather, there was no signal from the satellite dish. Checking the connections, I couldn't find any obvious reason why the system was not working. I have another cable, so I changed out the cables and a connector, and now we have a signal.

Since we knew cold weather was coming, I dumped our holding tanks. Now, everything is empty. Even though our basement is heated, I don't like to take a chance on our tanks freezing. Think of the mess we would have if our tanks were full and froze. If the tanks ruptured, I would have a real job cleaning it up.

Today was the first good day for sunshine in awhile. We took advantage of the sunshine by going for a ride in the countryside in the afternoon. It was nice to get out, even if it was going over roads we have traveled before.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - West Columbia, Texas: Where Texas History Began

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: