Monday, December 15, 2008

Computer Nerds?

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 54 degrees, high 68 degrees, cloudy skies, rain showers late

For the second day in a row, we managed to get up later than we have been for the last few months. I got up just before 0700 hours, while Carolyn followed me about 30minutes later. I think about another three months of this late rising will fix me up.

After my morning walk, I decided to go out to Terri's house to repair the broken drawer slide on the kitchen drawer. While there, I also cleaned the carpet and floor where people had tracked in debris from outside when the house was being shown. Leaves were collected against the garage door, so I hooked up the leaf blower and blew them away from there, as well as from the downstairs patio and front porch. Birds have been roosting on the front porch and had left evidence of their presence, so I used a broom and water to clean that up. Leaves and other trash had blown into the shop, so I swept it out. Limbs had fallen into the yard in several places, and were removed.

When I was finished at the house, I returned home and had lunch. After a few minutes of meditation (very few minutes), I decided to see what I could do with the old computer that crashed on us about ten days ago. The problem was that the computer would freeze in the startup process. I didn't want to take it to a shop unless I had to because it is over five years old. In addition, there was very little data on the hard drive that had not been backed up on our external hard drive. After we discussed the problem, we decided that if the worse case came to pass, we could always take the computer to a shop if our efforts didn't succeed.

Knowing that we were going to lose all the data on the hard drive, we inserted quick recovery disk 1, and lo and behold, we started getting a reaction. Following the on-screen prompts, about an hour later, we had a functioning computer again. We still have some programs to add and some updates to download, but we saved some money and the aggravation of taking the computer to a shop, then having to go pick it up. And we have a better feel for how to recover from these crashes again. It also brought home to us how important it is to back up our data on a fairly often basis.

In between all this work, Carolyn managed to do some Christmas decorating and cleaning. On top of that, she prepared a great supper for us. Have I ever said how well we work together?

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Alabaster, Alabama: The City for Families

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: