Monday, December 8, 2008

Golf And Matagorda, Texas

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 53 degrees, high 73 degrees, cloudy skies, 20 mph winds

While walking this morning, Terrell called to see if I wanted to play golf. I called him back and we arranged to meet at the golf course in 30 minutes. This was the first time I have played since March, and only the third time in three years. In addition, I was tired from walking, my elbow hurt, and the wind was blowing hard. Now that my excuses are firmly in place, here's how I played. I had some good shots, some bad shots, and some horrendous shots. Overall, it was fun, and I played no better than I deserved. Just above bogie golf, and I really wanted to at least play bogie golf. Still, as I said, it was fun.

When I got home from the golf course, we decided to go to the boat harbor in Matagorda for lunch at the Waterfront Restaurant. This restaurant specializes in typical Texas food, and they are really good at preparing seafood and hamburgers. Aha, you say. I know what they had for lunch. You would be right if you said we had a hamburger. We like their hamburgers, and both of us had the bacon cheeseburger with fries. Ummmm, good! And enough left for supper.

Once lunch was finished, we drove down to the beach. A new bridge is being constructed that will probably cause a boom in activity going to and along Matagorda Beach. The new bridge will replace a drawbridge that seems to hold up traffic a lot. The bridge is on the Intracoastal Waterway, so there is a lot of barge traffic as well as fishing boats and sail boats. Here's a picture of the new bridge under construction.



When we arrived at the beach, we saw that the wind was blowing even harder than in town. The waves were rolling in pretty good, and washing across the fishing jetty. Here's a picture of the fishing pier and jetty.



On the way out of Matagorda, we encountered a cattle drive, with real live cowboys and horses. Actually, these movements of cattle are commonplace here.



Tonight, we went to a music recital for Zoe's school. She is in the school band, and is first chair for the trumpets. Zoe says they suck, but I thought they were good.

It's been a busy day, with more of the same set for tomorrow.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Matagorda, Texas: Where Texas History Began

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: